Sunday, January 24, 2010

Is this Art?

When you look at the Photo of the Week, what do you see?  Not many, if anyone, will know what image my camera captured in that brief moment of time.  I have found as I take more photographs, and not just of my grandchildren, there is beauty all around.  The cliche' of "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" has taken on new meaning for me.  You truly can find beauty in anything, if you look deep enough. 

Sometimes the threads of a day ensnare me so tightly within the mundane stresses of life that I cannot see or feel anything but their pressure cutting into the flesh of my little fingers.   If I can find something...anything that is beautiful, those bindings begin to loosen and will soon fall away.  Where do I find this tiny speck of beauty after enduring 8 to 10 hours of corporate politics??  It is the single red berry on a withered branch, a tiny dot of happy brilliance in the drab dormancy of winter.  The dark earthy brown of fallen leaves on their way to mulch.  The pattern etched by green paint scrapes on the charcol gray background of a slightly dented fender.  The shadow lace created by late afternoon sun tatted by barren branches.  The first breath of a breeze after rainfall when I walk out the door.  Beauty is everywhere if I remember to look for it instead of concentrating on the fibers of negativity creasing my skin.  Do I focus on the positive in life or concentrate on the negative aspects???  The choice is ultimately mine.

With my camera lens, I am beginning to recognize and find the more positive aspects that exist around me.  They are everywhere if we just choose to look.  Beauty. Art...truly is in the eye of the beholder.  What do you see when you look at the Photo of the Week?  I won't cloud your objectivity by revealing the source of this particular piece of beautiful art.  The choice is limited only by your imagination and your state of mind.

1 comment:

Rae Jean said...

Wow. I've gone away to other blogs and come back again several times, trying to digest the photo. I like it Mike. The colors are such that they remind me of the caribbean...the blues with the greens and it looks like it has rained on it. It looks like several types of media or textures (yarn, crayons and water colors and rain?) were used to make it. (might it be a grandchild's picture? If it is, then it definately is art...as there is nothing as precious as something from them!) If I am wrong, that's okay, cause I do like the colors and the look of it, and could see it hanging in my future home on the beach, by the ocean! (in my dreams!)