Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Separation

It has been an interesting couple of days since my lovely bride had her radioiodine treatment. The house is quiet with just Kim and I in residence. I feel so separated from her since we can't really eat together, be together for any length of time or really do anything together. I feel badly that she is basically confined to our house and for the most part has only the company of the telephone and television. She isolates herself in our bedroom and I confine myself to the familyroom downstairs. Knowing I can't do as much for her as I would like is difficult. What I can do, get a cup of water or smash a few ice-cubes into chips seems so insignificant when I can't imagine what she is experiencing. I did do one thing for her that I know she will like. I purchased a few pieces of See's chocolates (which she can't eat until tomorrow or Monday) and found a book by Lee Childs (one of her favorite authors) that will help pass the next few hours for her. Hopefully tomorrow sometime, I can hold by beautiful wife in my arms again and dance in the kitchen to music from Mama Mia.....

2 comments:

Rae Jean said...

I cannot imagine the experience that you guys are going through. You will have to let us all know how it ends up, and post again of the last part of it. I'm so curious! And thankful that Kim has come through the surgeries okay...with her voice and all!!! I can just see you two dancing in the kitchen to Mamma Mia...

Rae Jean said...

By-the-way...you are so thoughtful Mike. Thanks for looking after Kim's needs, and trying to make it a better experience for her!